What is Never Too Late?
Never Too Lateis a 12-week campaign that aims to encourage older adults to become more active.
It launches on Monday 4 May 2020 and runs until end July 2020.
- a free one week leisure centre pass for them and a friend
- free personalised support throughout the 12 weeks
- free entry into a prize draw
- a free activity planner
The campaign aims to reach those who are over 55 and inactive, however nobody is excluded from the campaign as there are huge benefits to be gained from anyone becoming more active at any age.
The campaign website is: www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/nevertoolate
Why are we doing it?
Physical inactivity costs Hertfordshire over £16million a year (not including obesity and mental health) and people get less active as they get older. In Hertfordshire:
- 42% of over 65s are completely inactive
- nearly 58% of over 65s do less that the recommended amount of physical activity
However being active for 30 minutes at least five days a week is known to provide important physical and mental health benefits for older adults.
Never Too Late takes a behavioural science approach based on the COM-B model of behaviour change (PDF 91KB)Opening in a new window.
How can you get involved?
Please help us publicise the campaign using the toolkit below.
- Encourage family, friends, neighbours, colleagues and clients to sign up from 4 May 2020
- Share the campaign messages through your channels
- Get your workplace involved
- Encourage your local school to get involved
A simple call to action:
Sign up to Never Too Late for free support to get more active: www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/nevertoolate
Toolkit coming soon.
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
w window opening in a new window opening in a new window opening in a new wi
Information for schools
The Never Too Late physical activity campaign launches on 4 May 2020 (more information above).
Keeping up with the grandchildren is one of the strongest motivations to behaviour change in older people, so we’re inviting all local schools (especially infant, primary, middle and special schools) to run a Never Too Late event this year to launch the campaign.
What does a launch event look like?
This simply involves asking pupils to invite an older adult, maybe a parent, grandparent or neighbour, to the school on a day of your choosing during May 2020 to take part in a fun physical activity session together.
This could be a daily mile, walking bus, tea dance, bowls match, flash mob routine – it is entirely up to you, all we ask is that:
- it gets everyone moving and
- you use it as an opportunity to encourage people to sign up to the campaign – either on devices on the day or via the website/by phone after the event
To help you organise the event we can provide invites that the children can take home and give out. Just fill in the relevant fields when you register.
Prizes to be won
Any school that registers for the campaign and reaches the target number of sign-ups will go into a prize draw to win:
1st prize: £1000
2nd prize: £500
3rd prize: £250
The target is to get the number of adults signed up to the campaign that is equivalent to, or more than, 5% of the number of pupils you have on role at time of registering.
NEW FOR 2020: £250 BONUS PRIZE! This year there will be a special bonus prize of £250 for the school that gets the highest percentage of sign-ups.
We will ask everyone signing up to the campaign to tell us which school encouraged them to join, so make sure you remind people to fill this in!
What’s in it for you?
- Cash prizes
- Potential media and social media coverage
- Positive community links
What’s in it for the children?
- Invite grandparents to their school
- Help their family get healthier
- Have fun
What’s in it for the adults?
- Free one week leisure centre pass and prize draw
- Visit their child/grandchild at school
- Have fun
Still not convinced? Watch a short video of last year’s events.
- Decide what your launch event will be
- Set a date anytime in May for your launch event
- Register and order your invites (last date for guaranteed delivery Friday 13 March)
- Hold your event and have fun
- Share your photos, clips and quotes from the day on social media, tagging Hertfordshire County Council and using #NeverTooLateHerts
- Encourage as many older adults as possible to sign up to the campaign between 4 May and 31 July 2020 (remember the 5% target!)
School promotional toolkit
Our school's toolkit is coming soon.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com