Posted: Friday 11th August 2017
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Water Rescue Unit are reminding residents to take care near water during the school summer holidays.
Top safety tips
- When running or walking next to water, stay clear of the edges
- River banks may be unstable and give way
- Wear appropriate footwear and clothing
- Take a fully charged mobile phone and check signal strength, know how to use it and who to call in an emergency
- Look out for trip or slip hazards - pay attention to your footing
- Stick to proper pathways
- Don't walk or run next to water if levels are high
- Make sure you know exactly where you are - consider something like an OS locate app for a smart phone or a map
- Don't assume just because you have walked or run a route many times before it is still safe.
- Avoid walking or running near water in the dark