Posted: Thursday 28th September 2017
Countryside Management Service is on the hunt for passionate locals and keen walkers to help with the smooth running of the Hertfordshire Health Walks programme. A new network of Ambassadors across the county will be created to support the programme with awareness-raising around the many health and wellbeing benefits of walking in a group and promotion in the local community. Some residents may already participate in the organised walks and want to volunteer, but have been waiting for the right position that isn’t leading a walk. This is the role for you!
As an Ambassador you will:
- Man stalls at health and wellbeing awareness events on behalf of CMS
- Give talks to community groups and organisations who are potential advocates or to potential walkers and provide resources for groups and individuals to learn more
- Actively seek out opportunities for promotion and building partnerships within your local community to increase awareness of and signposting to the Health Walks initiative
- Lobby your local MP and County or Local councillors, helping them to understand the benefits the Health Walks can have for those living in their constituencies
- Use social media to promote the Health Walks locally.
- Engage with your local press and keeping local What’s On websites up-to-date
- Support CMS with volunteer walk leader recruitment drives
- Support new walks and struggling walks to ensure sustainability long-term
- Connect with other Health Walks Ambassadors to share ideas and good practice
- Maintaining stock of up-to-date promotional literature at libraries, GP surgeries, tourist information etc.
In return you will be offered:
- Regular support from the Hertfordshire Health Walks team e.g. phone catch-ups
- A half day training session to equip you with the key messages relating to the Health Walks and the Walking for Health National initiative
- An Ambassador kit – including but not limited to bespoke posters, giveaways to hand out at
- events, display materials (including a roller banner and table cover), a Health Walks T-Shirt
- Insurance cover
- The opportunity to shadow a member of the Health Walks staff or a fellow ambassador to gain confidence and knowledge.
The Hertfordshire Health Walks are short, regular and free walks designed to help participants increase their physical activity levels, improve their wellbeing and feel fitter and healthier while enjoying Hertfordshire’s green spaces. Currently, over 300 volunteer walk leaders ensure 60 walks take place every week, all through the year and are enjoyed by over 3,000 people. However many more could be benefitting from the Health Walks.
To register your interest please contact the CMS via email email@example.com or call 01992 588433 to discuss further.
Please note: Hertfordshire Health Walks is a non-profit, FREE health intervention for residents of Hertfordshire. While the initiative is dependent on funding, it is currently not a requirement of volunteer Ambassadors to undertake in fundraising activities.