Posted: Tuesday 12th June 2018
Today the council’s Adult Care Services bring a new Carers Strategy for 2018-2021 to Adult Care & Health Cabinet Panel for review before final approval by councillors on 18 June at Cabinet.
The strategy reaffirms our commitment to working in partnership with carers, health and social care providers and other local organisations to support carers’ wellbeing and help carers to carry on caring. The value of the unpaid work family carers do in Hertfordshire is equivalent to £2bn, if it were to be provided as paid care*.
We are fortunate to have a strong voluntary and community sector in Hertfordshire which works effectively in partnership with statutory organisations. By identifying carers earlier and ensuring they are referred to right support, we can ensure our resources are used as effectively and that help is available for all not just those carers most in need or in crisis. We see this strategy as part of an ongoing conversation with carers and providers of services for carers and are open to everyone’s views on how we can develop this vital area of work.
Vision for the Carers Strategy 2018-2020
Our overall direction, in line with government policy, is to work in ways which give people real control and choice over how they are supported. We want to focus on the things that mean the most to carers that make the biggest difference, and are confident that if we do this we will move towards achieving better outcomes and better lives for the carers.
Our vision is that together we deliver the objectives that carers have identified, that they should be able to:
- Carry on caring if they want to
- Get good quality information and advice when they need it
- Be recognised, feel respected and heard as carers and partners in care and experts in the needs of the person they care for
- Have a life outside of and after caring, including working or volunteering if they want to and being able to fully access their local community and local services
- Stay mentally and physically fit and healthy
- Be safe
- Access full benefit entitlements and financial advice
- Receive consistent joined up services
You can read our Carers Strategy 2018-2021 in full here.
Information and advice for carers is available at www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/carers where you can also complete a Carers Assessment so that we can ensure you have access to the support (however small) that you and your family might need.
*Valuing Carers, Carers UK and Dr Lisa Buckner, University of Leeds