Posted: Thursday 19th April 2018
With the weather finally hotting up for Spring and many of us getting out and about to enjoy the sunshine this week, Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Water Rescue Unit are reminding residents to take care near water while the current heatwave lasts.
Top safety tips
- When running or walking next to water, stay clear of the edges
- River banks may be unstable and give way
- Wear appropriate footwear and clothing
- Take a fully charged mobile phone and check signal strength, know how to use it and who to call in an emergency
- Look out for trip or slip hazards - pay attention to your footing
- Stick to proper pathways
- Don't walk or run next to water if levels are high
- Make sure you know exactly where you are - consider something like an OS locate app for a smart phone or a map
- Don't assume just because you have walked or run a route many times before it is still safe.
- Avoid walking or running near water in the dark