Celebrations at the official opening of Berkhamsted Library
Published: 17 Oct 2017
Hertfordshire County Council held a special event on Monday 9 October to officially open the library in front of invited guests including the Mayor of the town of Berkhamsted Cllr Carol Green and the Mayor of the Borough of Dacorum, Cllr David Collins.
The new library (which has been open since May 2017) is located on Berkhamsted High Street, and is part of a modern development of luxury apartments set in the heart of the town.
Reaction from customers who have been using the new library facilities has been overwhelmingly enthusiastic, with a huge increase in the number of people wanting to become members and a 31% increase in visits to the library in its first three months of opening.
Cllr Terry Douris, Cabinet Member for Libraries, said: “The opening of the new Berkhamsted Library just a few months after the opening of the new Hemel Hempstead Library demonstrates that public libraries are continuing to thrive and flourish in Hertfordshire.
“We have worked innovatively with developers, Beechcroft, in order to develop the new library as part of a residential block conveniently located on the High Street.”
At the event Cllr Douris also announced that we will be launching the new Open+ service at the library in November giving customers access to the library outside of normal opening hours. He added:
“A key part of our Inspiring Libraries Strategy is to ensure Hertfordshire Libraries remain relevant to changing customer expectations and are sustainable for the future. Open+ is an exciting addition to our service and a great way to future proof Hertfordshire libraries and make them work for our residents.”
The new Berkhamsted Library offers:
· A modern, accessible service on one floor in the centre of the High Street
· A wide selection of popular stock
· A bookable meeting room for community activities
· Access to the library outside of normal opening hours through the use of self-service, swipe card technology called Open+
· Increased access to computers and free wi-fi
· A vibrant children’s area with bespoke furniture and seating
· A dedicated teenage area
· A flexible space that can be used for author talks and community events
· Informal, one-to-one computer and tablet taster sessions to help people who lack skills and confidence in the use of technology to get online.
For more information visit the Berkhamsted Library website or call Hertfordshire Libraries on 0300 123 4049.