Has your child got a summer job?

Published: 20 Jul 2018

Hertfordshire County Council issues over 950 work permits each year for school aged children who undertake paid or unpaid work and if your child has a job this summer they should have one.

It is the employer’s responsibility to apply for a work permit for any school aged child they employ so if you’re not sure whether they have applied for one for your child please ask the employer. You should also check the details of your child’s employment and sign the Work Permit application form. 

There are strict limits on the types of jobs that school aged children, aged 13 -16 (born after 31 August 2002), can do and the hours they can work if they are working in a trade or occupation carried out for profit.

For example, working in a shop, a cafe, in riding stables or delivering newspapers are all permitted but they would not be allowed to work in a cinema, a commercial kitchen or in telephone sales.

Children on work experience organised by their school, undertaking the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme or babysitting do not need a work permit.

Teresa Heritage, Cabinet Member for Children, Young People and Families, said: "Over the summer holidays lots of children take on jobs to earn a bit of extra pocket money. This is beneficial as it gives them valuable experience in the world of work, improves independence and self-esteem.

“My thanks to employers for taking on young people but I would ask them to take their responsibilities in this area very seriously and make sure they understand the law governing working restrictions and permitted working hours."

Full details can be found at: www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/schoolagedworkpermit

Leaflets are also available from the Children's Services helpline: 0300 1234043.