What will I be doing?
Herts Memories is a network of websites where people can share their memories and photos of the county. The network also includes local history research.
The network consists of the following sites:
You will be ensuring that the Herts Memories Network website content is kept fresh, easy to navigate and interesting to read. Most people work on one site, so do include your preference on your application form.
In this role, you will be:
- Sharing your own memories and photographs of Hertfordshire
- Research and publishing articles on a variety of subjects relating to Hertfordshire, using resources at HALS, your local library or museum
- Helping to organise and run promotional events eg reminiscence days
- Assisting with marketing the website and outreach events
- Recording oral histories, editing and uploading them to the website
- Work with HALS and Library staff on key themes (such as the commemoration of World War One) or current exhibitions so there can be a tie in with material on Herts Memories websites
- Taking part in special projects, eg Herts Memories volunteers have developed the ‘Hertfordshire Voices’ project (recording extracts from diaries in the archive)
- Attending Editors’ Meetings (approx. 4 per year)
- Helping newer volunteers with their research
You may be interested in combining this role with the Technical Editor role.
What skills or experience do I need?
- Outgoing and friendly manner and good communication skills
- Comfortable talking and listening to people talk about their memories of life in Hertfordshire
- An interest in IT and websites or a willingness to learn
- Willingness to help at events
- An interest in Hertfordshire’s history.
How much time do I need to give?
- Time spent volunteering is up-to-you, some people volunteer for a few hours a week, others for a full day
- There will be regular site meetings to discuss this.
Where will I be located?
You would be able to either work on the website from home, or at your local library. Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies is also a base where you can work from and where support is available.
What will I gain from the role?
- Experience of research and writing articles for the web
- Experience of helping organise, promote and run events
- Increased confidence from trying something new
- Experience of using IT
What support will I be given?
- Support and guidance in your role from Hertfordshire Archives and Library staff
- Training in how to use the website, how to edit and add material
- Editors meetings (4 per year), where you will be supported by HALS/Library staff and other volunteers
How do I find out more?
Apply now or contact us: