What will I be doing?
Herts Memories is a network of websites where people can share their memories and photos of the county. The network also includes local history research.
The network consists of the following sites:
You will be ensuring that the Herts Memories Network website content is kept fresh, easy to navigate and interesting to read.
In this role, you will be:
- Reviewing articles and comments, amending where necessary and publishing them in line with site guidelines. This may include contacting the author.
- Reviewing the website periodically to ensure content is up to date
- Updating the home page periodically to keep it looking fresh
- Attending Editors Meetings (4 per year)
- Sharing any technical issues with HALS staff contact so they can be resolved
- Promoting the website via the Herts Memories twitter account and by supporting events, such as reminiscence days
- Support new volunteers and users in using the website
- Assisting with periodic review of editors’ guidelines
You may also be interested in combining this role with the Content Creator role.
What skills or experience do I need?
- Outgoing and friendly manner and good communication skills
- An interest in IT and websites or a willingness to learn
- Willingness to help at events
- An interest in Hertfordshire’s history.
How much time do I need to give?
- Time spent volunteering is up-to-you, some people volunteer for a few hours a week, others for a full day
- There will be regular site meetings to discuss this.
Where will I be located?
You would be able to either work on the website from home, or at your local library. Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies is also a base where you can work from and where support is available.
What will I gain from the role?
- Experience of research and writing articles for the web
- Experience of helping organise, promote and run events
- Increased confidence from trying something new
- Experience of using IT
What support will I be given?
- Support and guidance in your role from Hertfordshire Archives and Library staff
- Training in how to use the website, how to edit and add material
- Editors meetings (4 per year), where you will be supported by HALS/Library staff and other volunteers
How do I find out more?
Apply now or contact us: