Early Years activities Volunteer
You will be supporting the library service to provide a range of Early Years Activities for children which include Baby Rhyme Times, Toddler Tales, Weekend stories and Family Learning activities.
What will I be doing?
- Assisting with the preparation for the activity session
- Meeting and greeting children parents and carers attending the session, administering sign in sheet (according to local procedures)
- Managing buggy parking and making customers aware of health and safety issues
- Helping to keep the children’s area attractive, by tidying and displaying books
- Helping children, parents and carers to find books that they will enjoy reading
- Promoting library membership and other joining incentives, for example: Bear’s Reading Adventure
- Taking part in the activity along with the member of library staff.
What skills and experience do I need?
- Outgoing and friendly manner and good communication skills
- Comfortable talking and listening to children and their parents/carers
- Comfortable joining in with the activity and encouraging parent/carer involvement
- An interest in promoting the importance of sharing books and rhymes with babies and young children
- Discretion and sensitivity to customer individual needs
- Reliability and flexibility to work as part of the library team delivering Early Years activities.
How much time do I need to give?
- You will need to be available 1-2 hours per week depending on the individual library.
- This will be organised and agreed by the Library Manager.
Where will I be located?
- You will be matched to a library in your local area.
What experience will I gain?
- Experience working with children and families in a library context
- Increased knowledge of children's books and rhymes
- Experience of helping organise and run events
- Satisfaction from making a difference to children's literacy in your community
- Increased confidence from trying something new.
What support will I be given?
- An introduction to your local library and the staff who work there.
- Background context to Early Years Activities in Hertfordshire libraries and information about the structure and content of sessions.
- Support and guidance in your role from library staff
- Information about library joining incentives, for example: Bear’s Reading Adventure
- An introduction to the range of children's books available in Hertfordshire libraries, including the e-library.