Home Library Service volunteer
You will be working in the community to help provide the library service to those who are otherwise unable to reach us.
What will I be doing?
- Selecting and issuing books from your local library
- Matching books to customers’ requests
- Arranging a time to visit your Home Library Service customer
- Delivering a new selection of books to them and returning their previous items to the library
- Chatting with the customer about books they have read or would like to read
What skills or experience do I need?
- An interest in books and in delivering a library service within your local community
- Good social skills, with discretion and sensitivity to customers' needs
- A caring nature and ability to relate to a wide variety of people
- Ability to work reliably within a team of library colleagues and volunteers
- Ability to carry a bag of library books or talking books
- Ability to travel between your local library and the customer's home
How much time do I need to give?
- You will need to visit your housebound customer at least once a month
- All times will be agreed with your local library manager
Where will I be located?
- You will be based at your local library in order to assist the Home Library Service customer(s) you have been matched with in the area
What support will I be given?
- Training with library staff and experienced volunteers
- Travel expenses as agreed by your local manager
How do I find out more?
Apply now or contact us:
- We will assess your application and invite you for an informal interview if successful
- We are also required to carry out an enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check for this role.