Shelving and Stock Support Volunteer
You'll be working alongside library staff to ensure that the library stock is maintained and well presented.
What will I be doing?
- Shelving library books and other items
- Maintain library stock so it looks tidy and attractive. By ensuring that stock is organised into numerical and alphabetical order as well as per genre and format
- Using reports to identify stock that need to be moved to other libraries
- Unpacking new stock
- Keeping library displays of books topped up
- Creating displays to promote upcoming and seasonal activities and services
- Maintaining library leaflet racks and noticeboards
- Photocopying and maintaining paper supplies in photocopiers and printers
What skills and qualities do I need?
- An interest in books and library services
- Being able to shelve and display stock accurately according to library shelving sequences
- Following simple instructions about library stocks and administrative processes
- Using the library trolley to move stock around as well as being able to carry stock on to the trolley
- Understand any health and safety issues relating to the role
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Being punctual and reliable
When will I be needed?
You will be working agreed regular shifts which will be organised by the library. If you cant work an agreed shift, advance notice is expected.
Where will I be located?
The role will be available in our Tier 1 and Tier 2 libraries as required by the Library Manager
What will I gain from the role?
- Meet new people and gain new skills in a library setting
- An opportunity to learn more about library stocks and services
- You'll be contributing to your local library service
What support will I be given?
- Volunteers will be offered the relevant training to ensure that they're able to carry out the role safely and effectively
- Clear communication of necessary information
- Guidance will be provided on day to day tasks
How do I find out more?
Apply now or contact us:
Phone: 0300 123 4049