Gallions Ecopark is an affordable housing scheme of 39 houses at Thamesmead, developed by Gallions Housing Association. The homes contain a combination of cost effective and practical energy efficiency design solutions that are easy to use and maintain.
The aim was to show that energy efficient sustainable housing need not be high-tech and can be built within realistic budgets. The houses achieved an EcoHomes Excellent rating and a SAP rating of 100.
Energy efficiency measures include:
- low U-value materials, e.g. double glazed, argon fi lled windows of 1.1W/m2K
- roof mounted solar collectors
- internal and external energy efficient lighting
- underfloor heating and mechanical ventilation in a few homes
- a high level of air tightness
- sunspaces behind south facing elevations for a few homes
Monitoring was achieved through installing a set of meters including humidity meters, electricity meters, heat metering (of the solar panels and gas boiler) and water meters. Monitoring has shown the following:
Gallions Housing Association
PRP Architects and Project Services