The £2m development comprises 19 flats and 8 houses. The development contains a number of features to minimise the use of natural resources and the waste generated from construction activity and to maximise the use of recycled materials.
- garages that existed on the site were crushed and recycled as fall under vehicular areas and paths
- recycled cellulose newsprint was used for insulation
The turf roofs are durable and also offer thermal insulation properties. Other benefits of using turf roofs are that they manage rainwater run-off and act as a mini habitat for wildlife.
Photovoltaic panels have been incorporated as part of the building fabric. In addition to creating visual interest, they also generate electricity for the homes.
Other sustainable features include:
- passive solar energy capture from the South West
- a centralised boiler system, with intelligent systems to operate at optimum efficiency
- water recycling/saving including: greywater recycling for use in toilets; collection of surface water for irrigation