This residential property was built off-site using a structured solid timber shell with pre-cut window and door openings. The building took only two days to assemble on-site, reducing construction costs and minimising waste generated on-site.
The wall panel and floor system is inherently flexible and self supporting. Timber panels are not only robust and a sustainable material, but they also offer good thermal and acoustic properties. The building’s ecological impact is also very low mainly because timber is a carbon negative material.
The benefits of using prefabricated timber panels therefore include:
- Increased building envelope performance
- Credible environmental performance
- Reduced waste (maximising the efficiencies of factory production)
- Fast construction resulting in improved construction programme
- Robust and durable structural components
Eurban, the contractor, claims that each cubic metre of timber saves almost a tonne of carbon dioxide emissions compared with a brick or block structure.