Preliminary BREEAM assessments were undertaken at the design stage of the project. A sustainability charter was then developed to set key targets for the project. The key objectives were:
- specification of materials with high recycled content
- re-use or recycling of excess materials generated by the demolition and refurbishment works
- minimising waste from construction activities
- achieving a BREEAM excellent rating
Product options were assessed by the design and contractors teams against these sustainability criteria:
- economic value of the material
- whole life costs
- suitability for task
- programme implications
- distance travelled
- waste produced
- disposal options
The process identified a number of high recycled content products for use in the project. For example, a high recycled content carpet tile (80%) was chosen from 15 options and utilised across the entire project.
The re-use of waste materials generated from the demolition was also prioritised, with an assessment of the demolition process showing that 70% of all construction waste was recycled or diverted from landfill.