Telford Millennium Community is a joint venture 750 home mixed use development by English Partnerships, Taylor Woodrow Developments and Telford and Wrekin Borough Council. The scheme also incorporates a school, commercial space, a new community centre and significant open space and parkland.
Sustainability is inherent to the scheme and all buildings are required to achieve BREEAM or EcoHomes Excellent. A further project requirement was to provide all residents with sufficient infrastructure to recycle 50% of their waste and that waste facilities should be well designed and not detrimentally impact upon the streetscape. The first homes will be occupied in 2007.
Waste management has been fully integrated into designs as follows:
- each home will have facilities within the kitchen to split recycled waste
- houses will use the Borough of Telford & Wrekin three bin refuse collection system; one wheelie bin for household waste, one for garden waste and a further box for dry recyclables
- refuse and recycling bins for houses will be located within purpose designed garden sheds, garages or within the ground floors of the mews buildings
Wheelie bins and storage boxes will be taken by householders to a designated refuse pickup point within 25m of the dwelling on the day of collection. Following collection, the receptacle will be returned by the householder to its storage area. Elderly or infirm residents will be given appropriate assistance in moving the rubbish bins by the Local Authority.
- apartments have one 1100 litre eurobin per six to eight units for household waste, located within a dedicated refuse storage area
- a dry recyclable box is also provided in each apartment
Within the school square there are four underground storage bins for recycled waste; these will collect recycled waste currently not available under the local authority refuse collection system.
The eurobins will be emptied directly by the bin men and the underground bins will be emptied by dedicated refuse trucks.
English Partnerships Taylor Woodrow Developments Ltd Borough of Telford and Wrekin Council Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands Architects