Schools and settings receive an amount of core funding for all pupils with or without special needs, called the Age and Weighted Pupil unit (AWPU).

Additional funding streams for special educational needs are as follows:

Exceptional Needs Funding

This is money given to schools and childcare providers to help them support children with the most complex and exceptional needs.

Schools and childcare providers have to apply for the exceptional needs funding. Speak to your childcare provider or school SENCo to discuss getting the funding to help your child's day to day life while in education.

How it works

There are groups of teachers and SEN professionals who meet to decide if the child's needs meet the criteria – this is called an Exceptional Needs Panel.

  • The panel meets to decide who gets the funding.
  • Payments are made termly.
  • Funding stops when the child leaves education.

Exceptional Needs information and guidance for schools

Additional support funding

As well as the the Age and Weighted Pupil unit (AWPU) fund, schools have an additional amount of funding for SEN.  This comes from a funding stream called ‘the Schools Block’.  This forms part of the schools ‘notional SEN budget’.  Schools can spend more or less than this figure on SEN. 

The Government expects schools to use their notional SEN budget to fund up to £6,000 worth of SEN provision for a pupil with SEN.

Top up funding

If a school needs more than £6,000 to provide a pupil’s SEN provision then, depending on the needs of the pupil, a top up from the Local Authority’s ‘High Needs Block’ may be allocated.

Although some pupils  have an Educational, Health and Care (EHC) Plan, this is not necessary for a school to receive the top up funding.

Special schools including Academies

Special schools are provided with base funding of £10,000 for each planned place, depending on the predicted admission numbers for the next year.  Most special schools will also receive additional top up funding.  The amounts are different for different schools. 

For more information about high needs top up funding in Hertfordshire mainstream schools, see our arrangements for Exceptional Needs Funding (ENF) above.

Page was last published on: 06/02/2020 09:32:07