The Attendance Team including the Central Attendance and Employment Support (CAEST), have a responsibility to make sure parents fulfil their legal duty to ensure their child attends school regularly and punctually. This is all children, not only those with SEND.
What we do
This team works directly with children, families and schools to improve pupils’ attendance, participation and outcomes in education so that life chances can be improved.
They work alongside other teams within ISL including the Educational Psychology team, Special Educational Needs & Disabilities team as well as Hertfordshire’s Families First, Admissions and Social Care teams. They also provide advice and support on School Age Employment, Child in Entertainment matters, Elective Home Education and Children Missing Education (children not on roll at a school or being home educated).
How to access the service
There are specific criteria to access the attendance service. However, there can be exceptions. Our criteria are that:
- attendance is below 90% (80 to 90% is usually addressed by school)
- absences have occurred in the previous 8 weeks
- school has attempted to address the absence during this period and can provide evidence of work undertaken
- majority of absences are unauthorised
Where there are concerns in relation to school attendance, and the child is of compulsory school age, schools, parents and professionals can access the attendance team.
- Parents can contact the Attendance Team via the Customer Service Centre - 0300 123 4043
- Schools can contact the Attendance telephone advice and guidance duty line or email address for the West or East area (see below).
- Schools can refer to the Attendance Team for statutory case work intervention.
- Cases may be received direct from schools or other professionals, via duty or as a result of a discussion with their link Attendance Improvement Officer.
- Referrals are accepted direct from schools or by sending a Service Request form (SR)
Attendance teams are based within 2 area teams – East and West across Hertfordshire.