The deaflindness team, also known as the Multi-sensory Impairment Specialists (MSI) is a specialist team of qualified teachers of children and young people aged 0-25, with Multi Sensory Impairments who work closely with parents and professionals.
What we do
- support to pre-school groups where deafblind children play and learn
- training and support for professionals
- assessments for children and young people, focussing on vision, hearing, communication and development for Education, Health and Care plans
- observations of pupils and written advice and recommendations
- advice on resources, adaptations, and technology
- advice on strategies, curriculum adaptation and communication techniques to develop learning skills
- liaison with other teams and with medical professionals regarding support
- support at professionals meetings and with families.
How to access the service
If your child has been diagnosed with deafblindness, or a condition causing deafblindness, we can accept a request for involvement from health professionals, schools or a parent using the service request form. Please email the completed form with parental consent for our involvement to:
SEND Specialist Advice and Support (Multi Sensory Impairment (Deafblindness)
North Herts & Stevenage
St Albans & Dacorum
East Herts, Broxbourne, Welwyn & Hatfield
Watford, Three Rivers & Hertsmere
If your referral is successful, we'll be in contact to arrange a visit.