Please note we no longer offer appointments after 31st July 2018.

We can check your documents and application form for settlement in the UK before forwarding them on to UK Visas and Immigration. This will make sure your application is right first time and will avoid delays. 

If you have a 2 year probationary period... 

You must book an appointment before your current leave expires. You can't go to an appointment more than 28 days before the end of your probationary period.

  • If you have an entry clearance visa, the probationary period starts from the date your visa was stamped by the Immigration Officer when you entered the UK
  • If you have a residence permit, the probationary period starts from when you were granted 2 years leave as a spouse or partner


Advantages of using the Settlement Checking service

  • Make sure your application form is completed correctly with the right supporting documents and fee
  • Take photocopies of your supporting documents such as your passport and marriage certificate so you can keep your original documents safe
  • Send your application form and documents to the UK Visas and Immigration by secure mail

Who the Settlement Checking Service is for

You can use the service if you're applying by a SET (M) form for settlement in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a British citizen or someone who is settled here. You must have a 24 month or 27 month spouse visa.

How much the service costs

The fee for the service is £95 plus £15 per child under 18 years old on the application. 

The service fee is taken by credit/debit card at the time you book an appointment. The fee is non-refundable and is charged in addition to the SET (M) application fee charged by the UK Visas and Immigration.

What to bring to your appointment

You must bring the following documents with you:

  • a completed SET (M) application form
  • a Knowledge of Life in the UK test certificate and either
  • a "speaking and listening" qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or an equivalent level qualification or
  • have an academic qualification and can prove it was taught or researched in English. It must meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's, Master's degree or PHD in the UK by UK NARIC
  • the supporting documents requested in the SET (M) application form and guidance notes, which can be found on the UK Visas and Immigration website
  • a completed payment slip showing credit/debit card details or bring a cheque/postal order payable to the Home Office, Leave to Remain. 

Your spouse/partner must attend your appointment with you.

Book an appointment

Call 01707 897396 to make an appointment. If you need to re-arrange your appointment please give 2 working days’ notice.

Contact details

The Old Courthouse
St Albans Road
East Hatfield
AL10 0ES

Call us on 01707 897396 or email us for more information about citizenship ceremonies.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00am – 4.00pm.