Apply for a copy of a civil partnership certificate by calling us on 0300 123 4045 (option 2) and paying by credit/debit card. You could also print out the form and send it along with your payment by cheque or postal order to our office.

Apply using a paper form

Simply print and fill out our form to apply for copy of a civil partnership certificate. Either scan it and send the copy to us by email or post it to us with a cheque.

Copy certificate costs

£15 – online applications (priority service)

£20 – phone applications (priority service)

£20 – postal applicatons (priority service)

£10 – postal applications (non-priority service)

£25 – While You Wait certificate


Our priority service means your copy certificate is sent out within 1 working day of receiving your application.

The non-priority service means your copy certificate will be posted after 5 working days.

A While You Wait certificate means your copy certificate will be produced while you wait in reception at The Old Courthouse.

The information you need

  • Date and place where the civil ceremony took place.
  • The names of the people involved.

If you only have the GRO reference number, you must apply to the General Register Office. Call them on 0300 123 1837 or go to their website for more information.

Contact the Hertfordshire Archives Local Studies Library (HALS) or visit any Hertfordshire Public Library and see the indexes free of charge.

Contact details

The Old Courthouse
St Albans Road East
AL10 0ES


We're open Monday – Thursday 9am to 4pm and Friday 9am to 3pm. Call us on 0300 123 4045 (option 2) for more information.

We don't hold any information on divorces. You can get that paperwork by contacting your local court or by calling the Divorce Registry on 0207 947 6000.