Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council

Winter Health in Hertfordshire

Providing information and advice to help you stay healthy this winter...


Childhood illness

  • There is lots of information available to help you know what to do if your child is ill.

  • Treating your child yourself or with advice from your local pharmacy is often the best way to help your child get better.

  • You can also get medical advice from your GP, health visitor, midwife, school nurse or by calling NHS 111 for free, 24 hours a day.

What to do if you are worried about your child's illness


Look after your emotional wellbeing

  • It is important to look after your mental health as well as physical health.

  • If you are worried about yours or someone else's mental wellbeing, the wellbeing service is a good place to start.

  • Out-of-hours advice and telephone support is available from a mental health professional on 01438 843322.

Contact the Wellbeing team to find out about the mental health support available


NHS 111 Service

  • 111 is the NHS non-emergency telephone number.

  • It is fast, easy and free.

  • Call 111 to speak to a trained adviser who can direct you to the best medical care for you.

Find out more about NHS 111


Know where to go

  • A pharmacy is a good first stop for many complaints such as colds and flu.

  • The Minor Injuries Units treat a range of injuries like sprains, cuts, grazes, and minor burns.

  • Urgent Care Centres (Hemel Hempstead and Welwyn Garden City) are open 24 hours and treat minor illness and injury.

  • Contact your GP or call NHS 111 for an illness that just won't go away.
  • Call the wellbeing service on 0300 777 0707 if you are stressed, depressed or suffering from phobias.

  • A&E is for life-threatening situations and those with serious illness or injury; in an emergency dial 999.

Find out the best place to go with your illness, injury or worry