- 21.5% of adults are obese and 61.8% are either overweight or obese.
- 20.8% of 4 - 5 year olds are overweight or obese.
- 28.6% of 10 - 11 year olds are overweight or obese.
- Overweight and obese children are more likely to become obese adults, with current trends suggesting that 80% of children who are obese at age 10 - 14 will become obese adults.
Health care professionals should routinely record patients BMI in consultations and give brief advice based on whether or not patients are maintaining a healthy weight.
Adult BMI Levels
| BMI|| Kg/m2|
||18.5 - 24.9
|| 25 - 29.9
||30 - 39.9
| Obese ( severe and complex)
|| 40 plus
Referral and pathways
- BeeZee Bodies - weight management support for overweight children. A free 17 week lifestyle programme to support parents and families to make healthy but realistic changes to their lives to help manage weight.
- Hertfordshire's Public Health Service has commissioned 12 weeks FREE weight management support via Slimming World or Weight Watchers on referral. Referrals are through GP practices in the county.
Patient eligibility criteria and information about the referral process
Slimming World referral form
Weight Watchers referral form