Cultivation Licence


During the Coronavirus pandemic we're changing the way we are working to protect our customers and our staff.

Please submit your application online and pay via bank transfer/online. Any postal applications or cheque payments will not be processed until further notice.

If you recently made a postal application or paid by cheque please contact us on 0300 123 4047.

To cultivate or plant on the highway land or grass verges, a licence is required.

Before you start, you'll need your public liability insurance certificate (minimum of £10 million).


The application fee for each application will be £85 (non-refundable). If the licence application is granted, there will then be a charge of £620

Getting a licence

Planting will only be permitted on the highway if it is safe to do so. A licence can only be granted to you if you are the owner and/or occupier of the property adjoining the highway for which you wish to plant. Proof of ownership (such as title documents) or occupation (such as a copy of a lease) will need to be submitted with your application. Licences will not usually be granted to occupiers with a lease term shorter than twelve months or if the applicant cannot evidence at least two years occupation of the property.

More guidance

For more guidance on the application process for getting a cultivation licence, please see the cultivation licence guidance and conditions (PDF 95KB)Opening in a new window.