Street parties

If you're planning to have a street party or event on a public road you'll need to get permission to close the road.

  • Submit your application at least 6 weeks before your event.
  • Check that your proposed road closure won't affect other roadworks and events.
  • Most street parties are free, if it's on a residential street and doesn't affect a bus route. We'll let you know if we need to charge you to close the road.

Before you apply, take a look at our street party conditions.

Street party conditions

There are differences for each street party depending on the size. The basic rule is that they're not disruptive, they're small scale and they're free to attend.

Here are some specific conditions:

  • Emergency service vehicles always need access.
  • Disabled drivers must be able to access disabled parking bays.
  • You'll need to speak to residents who will be affected by the road closure to make sure they haven't got any objections.
  • The road closure will be valid for up to 3 days.
  • You can only apply to close the same section of road once a year.
  • Road closures will only be effective when signs are in place.
  • All rubbish must be cleared up.
  • You can't damage the road surface.
  • Signs need to be clearly visible to all road users.
  • If you want to sell alcohol or food, you need authorisation from your local authority.
  • You can't charge people to attend the event.
  • Music shouldn't disrupt local residents.
  • The event can't be publicised, advertised or opened to the wider public.


Type of roadPrice
Cul-de-sac Free
Minor access road - not on a bus route or traffic-sensitive Free
Minor access road - on a bus route or traffic-sensitive £1,091
Major access road - not on a bus route or traffic-sensitive Free
Major access road - on a bus route or traffic-sensitive £1,091

Our fees cover the cost of checking, drafting and advertising a special event order for your road closure.