Opening in a new windo
We're currently seeking funding to deliver the project so we are unable to commit to a delivery date, however, we are seeking views of local stakeholders to ensure that we have a project that is ready to deliver should the opportunity arise.
Have your say on the proposal to upgrade the A10 Buntingford roundabout.
What we're doing
The proposed scheme involves reconfiguring the existing oval shaped roundabout to a circular shaped roundabout with the following features to improve its capacity:
- A segregated left turn lane from the A10 (south) to the A10 (north west).
- Additional lanes at the entries to and exits from the roundabout.
- A section of new shared cycle and walking path at the eastern arm of the roundabout to link to the football club and proposed school.
- Realigning the pavement next to the southbound carriageway, closing the lay-by south of the roundabout and amendments to private field accesses to the west of the A10 to accommodate the above changes.
- Signing an alternative quiet cycle route (PDF 441KB), parallel to the A10 between Buntingford and the Puckeridge area along roads with light traffic.
Proposed outline drawing (PDF 662KB)
Why we're doing it
This roundabout currently experiences queues and delays during peak periods and these are forecast to worsen in future years due to growth in the wider area.
This improvement is identified in our Local Transport Plan and East Herts District Council's Local Plan.
Timeline and steps to complete project
Step 1: Pre-planning consultation (current stage)
We considered several options for upgrading the roundabout and developed a business case for the preferred option.
We're currently seeking funding to deliver this project.
We are also seeking views of local stakeholders to ensure that we have a project that is ready to deliver should the opportunity arise. This consultation is currently planned for August 2020.
We'll assess all the consultation responses and produce a report.
Step 2: Developing the scheme
Detailed design is due to start in November 2020 and end in June 2021.
Step 3: Getting permission
The proposed improvements are within the highway boundary and are classed as permitted development under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
Step 4: Construction
We're currently seeking funding to deliver this project so we are unable to commit to a delivery date.
Questions? Email A10Buntingford@hertfordshire.gov.uk