Essex Road is the main route in and out of Hoddesdon Business Park. The business park is an important income generator in Hertfordshire. However, it's restricted by a narrow road bridge (6 metres wide) over the New River.
- The bridge is 60 years old and not up to modern standards.
- The road over the bridge is narrow, such that it is difficult for two HGV’s to pass.
- The footway on the bridge is very narrow and there is no cyclist access.
- The section of Essex Road is the only access suitable for HGV’s. A vehicle breakdown on the bridge would cut the area off for hours; an accident which damages the bridge could close the road for days or weeks.
- Improve transport access to Essex Road so it can better cope with collisions, breakdowns and maintenance.
- Widen the road to allow HGV's to pass each other safely.
- Increase safety for all road users.
- Improve pedestrian and cyclist access.
Find out more about the scheme (PDF)
See a map of the scheme (PDF)
Timeline and steps to complete the project
If we get planning permission, construction is set to start in 2019 and be completed by 2021.
Step 1: Seeking funding (Spring 2017)
Funding has been allocated for the project by the Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership. The Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership has allocated £6.5m from its Local Growth Fund for the delivery of the project due to the importance of the Hoddesdon Business Park to the local economy. We're contributing to the project from existing funds held from other developments in the area.
Step 2: Pre-planning consultation
The pre-planning consultation for this scheme will be 15 November – 15 December 2017.
Have your say on the Essex Road improvements
Step 3: Developing the scheme
- Scheme design and Environmental Impact Assessment update.
- Draft legal orders and Planning submission (autumn 2018).
Step 4: Getting permission (we're currently here)
- Planning Authority Statutory consultation (autumn 2018). This will be your next chance to comment.
- Review the planning application documents
- Comment on application PL/0962/18
- Achieve planning permission in March 2019 (if successfully granted) and make legal orders (October 2019)
Step 5: Construction
- Appoint a contractor (2019).
- Construction begins (2019).
- Works completed by summer 2021.
The above timings are subject to successful completion of statutory procedures, positive economic appraisal and continued availability of funding.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this project.