Reading Well Books on Prescription
Understand and manage your health through reading.
What is Reading Well?
Reading Well Books on Prescription helps you to manage and understand your health by reading books recommended by health professionals. There are 4 collections of books available to borrow:
- Reading Well for mental health: self help titles on conditions including anxiety, depression, phobias and some eating disorders
- Shelf help: a mix of self-help and fiction books giving support and advice for young people about bullying, self harm, autism and more
- Reading Well for children: books supporting children’s mental health and wellbeing, covering grief, anxiety, ADHD, autism, bullying and staying safe online. Targeted at children in Key Stage 2, it includes titles suitable for a wide range of reading levels.
- Reading Well for dementia: help and support for people with dementia and their families.
- Long term conditions: support and guidance for those living with long term conditions such as arthritis, bowel conditions, diabetes, heart disease and stroke
To borrow books, you will need to be a member of the library. If you're not, don't worry. Join now.
If you are interested, your GP can recommend the best books for you. Or, come to the library and you can choose your own books. Take a look at the titles we have available in the online catalogue.
If a book isn't available for you, we will reserve it free of charge.