Hertfordshire County Council does not deal with planning applications for new houses and extensions, or planning applications for shops or industrial buildings. Such applications are dealt with by district and borough councils. 



Search for a planning application

Please note your district or borough council handle applications for new houses and extensions, also buildings such as shops, industrial buildings and warehousing etc. 

Search for a planning application for minerals, waste and county council sites (please use the 'keywords' field, leaving the other fields blank).

How can I make a planning application?

If you wish to submit an application, please apply via the UK Government's Planning Portal.

Validation Checklist

The purpose of the Validation Checklist is to enable anyone who wishes to make a planning application (or related type of application) to be aware of the supporting information which will be required to accompany the application.

Planning Code of Practice (Revised November 2006)

How the council makes a decision

Some non-controversial applications may be decided by planning officers without reference to County Councillors.

Planning applications that are controversial are always reported to the Developmental Control Committee, which meets 10 times per annum, for a decision to be made.

If you would like to know what decision is made on any particular planning application, or the date of a relevant Development Control Committee, please write to the Spatial Planning Unit stating which application you are interested in and, most importantly, enclosing a stamped addressed envelope.

Making Your Views Known

Applicants, objectors and other interested parties have an opportunity to address the Developmental Control Committee in respect of any planning application before the Committee for a decision.

Please only complete this form: Making Your Views Known, if you wish to make a verbal presentation to the Development Control Committee.

The form can then be sent by email:



Or by post:

Spatial Planning & Economy Unit

County Hall CHN216

Pegs Lane


SG13 8DN


Should you wish to contact us with your views on a current planning application but not make a presentation to the Development Control Committee, please write to us at the above addresses. Once we are in receipt of your letter, we will contact you to advise.

Contact for the Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Web: www.lgo.org.uk/
LGO Advice Team: 0300 061 0614
Fax: 024 7682 0001

Planning Enforcement

Planning Enforcement is committed to monitoring compliance with planning permissions granted by the County Council.

Planning Aid

Screening / Scoping Opinions

Screening Opinion

Before submitting a planning application, potential applicants can apply for an opinion on whether a development should be subject to Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).  This is called a "Screening Opinion Request."

If you would like to speak to a Planning Officer, please call Spatial Planning on:

01992 556266


Screening criteria is set out in the Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) (England and Wales) Regulations 2011. 

It is based upon a proposed development's characteristics, location and potential impacts.  The aim of the screening process is to identify those projects that are likely to have significant effects on the environment. 

The broad intention of a screening opinion request is that developers can obtain a clear view from the Local Planning Authority on the need for EIA well before they reach the stage of lodging a formal planning application. 

If the development is considered to require an EIA by the Local Planning Authority, then the applicant can also seek advice on the content of the Environmental Statement by requesting a scoping opinion.

Scoping Opinion

Before making a planning application, a developer may ask the local planning authority for their formal opinion on the information to be supplied in the Environmental Statement (ES) - a "Scoping Opinion". 

This provision allows the developer to be clear about what the local planning authority considers what the main effects of the development are likely to be and, therefore, the topics on which the ES should focus.

If the Local Planning Authority considers that it needs further information to be able to adopt a scoping opinion, the developer should be asked to provide it. 

The authority should consult statutory consultees (including the relevant district/borough council and the Environment Agency) before adopting its scoping opinion.