It is important to plan ahead and stay up to date on flooding in your area to help protect your home.
You don't just have to live near a river to be at risk, especially if there is prolonged heavy rain which can cause surface water flooding. Here's a checklist of measures you can easily put into place to ensure your home or business is protected:
- Take out sufficient insurance cover to protect your property and valuables.
- Keep up to date with weather warnings.
- Visit the National Flood Forum for advice on preparing an emergency flood kit or 'grab bag'.
- Have a flood plan in place.
- Search Blue Pages and find out about flood prevention products, including barriers, sandbags and vent covers.
- If you own a riverside property, read and follow the guidance advice available.
- Check the flooding history of any property if you're looking to buy a new home.