Better Relationships, Better Parenting
Helping parents to address any conflict in their relationship, whether they are together or apart.
We hope everyone working with families can get involved using the practitioners' toolkit which includes:
- Practical information and advice on how to support parents in conflict
- The Intimate Relationship Continuum to help explore whether parents are experiencing relationship conflict or domestic abuse
- Information on how to refer to other local services
About the programme
- Children's exposure to conflict between their parents can put their mental health and long-term life chances at risk.
- Our work is based on national evidence demonstrating the link between inter-parental relationships and child outcomes.
Couple Mediation, Couple Counselling or Conflict Coaching for parents
Free Couple Mediation, Couple Counselling or Conflict Coaching services are available for parents in conflict who meet the criteria:
- parents are in conflict and this is impacting negatively on their children, or is likely to
- parents have a child or children under 18 ( under the age of 25 if the child has a Special Educational Need or Disability) or expecting a baby
- at least one parent lives in Hertfordshire
- the parent/parents agree to take part on a voluntary basis
- a Families First Practitioner is making the referral
- a Families First Assessment is in place.
This service is an early help service and therefore, not suitable for parents in crisis.
How to refer parents to Couple Mediation, Couple Counselling or Conflict Coaching
- Check the family meet the criteria stated above
- Decide whether Couple Counselling, Couple Mediation or Conflict Coaching is most suitable for the family - use the Mediation and Counselling pathway flowchart
- Download and complete a referral form for:
- Send the completed referral form to EHCommissioning@hertfordshire.gov.uk using HertsFX
- If you don't have a HertsFX account, email EHCommissioning@hertfordshire.gov.uk for assistance – do not send personal data using an unencrypted email system.
Please read our Privacy notice before submitting your referral