Skip to content

Email us

Special educational needs and disabilities in education

All children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities go through the same stages of education as everyone else.

Some children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) have learning difficulties that make it harder for them to learn that most children and young people of the same age.

These children or young people may need extra help because of a range of needs. All educational settings must by law, offer support to help young people reach their full potential.

Read our booklet about this and our approach to a graduated approach.

Our SEND strategy outlines everything we're doing, including what we expect from education providers.

If your child has a special educational need, they'll be able to get SEN support from:

Early YearsSchoolsColleges

Children without EHCPs can apply for a school under a medical or social rule, often referred to as Rule 2 if the school has this rule in its criteria. The rules for primary, junior and middle schools are different to secondary school rules.

In exceptional cases, or if it's stated in your child's educational, health and care plan, they may be entitled to free transport to school or college.