Funding you can apply for yourself

During the coronavirus period, until at least the end of June 2020, any benefits that are due to be reviewed by the DWP, will not be reassessed, and existing awards will continue. New claims for benefits like DLA, PIP and ESA can still be made but will be decided on the basis of the claim form and any additional evidence, and not a face-to-face assessment. Appeal Tribunals will be dealt with over the phone or on the evidence submitted, not a hearing.

A tax free amount of money for some disabled children which can help with the extra costs of looking after a child (under 16).

Extra money to help you with everyday life if you have an illness, disability or mental health condition.

If you already get disability living allowance or personal independence payments, you may be able to get carer's allowance too.

If your child has an EHCP, social care or health plan, you can ask for a personal budget, to provide more personalised support.

You might be able to get a grant for a disabled or seriously ill child or young person.

Income support can help to cover your costs if you are low on income and look after a disabled child or young person. However, income support is now largely being replaced by universal credit but some carers may still be getting it.

Universal credit can help to replace or top-up your other income, including help with living costs, rent, costs of children (including an extra amount for children with disabilities), ill-health and caring.

If you pay rent, and you are not living with a close relative, you may get help with the cost.

If you still get tax credits, there are extra payments of child tax credit if your child gets DLA or PIP.