Skip to content

Hertfordshire Send Local Offer

A child with SEN or a disability may have more difficulty learning than others of the same age. Or they may find it hard to benefit from the facilities available in schools and childcare settings.

There's support and special education provision available for children aged 0 to 4 and their families.

Who can support me?

There are a number of ways you can get support:

Where can I get childcare?

All childcare providers should offer places to children with SEND and will make adjustments to help your child.

Find childcare in your area

Tips when you're looking for childcare

  1. We always recommend visiting the childcare provider, to see how the staff interact with children.
  2. Ask the provider for an Ofsted report, if available. Ofsted inspects providers regularly to make sure every staff member is suitable to work with children.
  3. When you visit, you may want to ask about:
  • if your child has a physical need, that the building has the right facilities for their need
  • are staff trained to work with children with their particular learning needs
  • settling in periods
  • daily routine
  • fee payment arrangements
  • staff turnover
  • communication between parents and staff
  • contents of any contract that's been signed.

Email if you have any queries.


Can I get financial support?

There are a number of options available:

  • Disability access fund assists access to free early education places by supporting providers in making reasonable adjustments to their settings. Providers apply for this.
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax-free amount of money for some disabled children. It can help with the extra costs of looking after a child
  • Childcare Providers can get Early years inclusion funding to help support children with special educational needs or disabilities within the setting.
  • Exceptional needs funding is given to schools and childcare providers to help them support children with the most complex needs.


You can also get funding for childcare...

...when your child is 2

Your 2 year old can get 570 hours free early education a year from the term after they turn 2, if they:

  • have an education, health and care plan
  • get disability living allowance.

Read the full criteria

...when your child is 3 or 4

All 3 and 4 year olds can get 570 hours free early education a year from the term after they turn 3.

To use these hours, speak to your provider.

Some 3 and 4 year olds can also get another 570 hours a year on top, depending on your circumstances. This is called 30 hours free childcare.

Find out more about 30 hours