Skip to content

Email us

If your child has special educational needs (SEN), they'll be able to get SEN support from childminders, nurseries, schools and colleges.

SEN support replaces Early Years Action and School Action Plus.

Getting SEN support

You may be contacted if your nursery, school or college think your child needs SEN support.

You can also approach your child’s school / nursery if you think your child might have SEN.

SEN support happens in 4 stages:

  • assess – assessing your child's needs
  • plan – planning their SEN support
  • do – putting that plan into action
  • review – reviewing the outcomes of the SEN plan.

The support your child gets should be reviewed at an agreed point. You and your child's school (or nursery / childminder) can decide together if the support is working, or if any changes need to be made.

If your child doesn't make progress with extra support, help from outside the nursery or school can be arranged.

Children and young people with more complex needs might need an Education, health and care (EHC) plan.

The Special Educational Needs (SEN) Service is part of Integrated Services for Learning (ISL), Children’s Services, Hertfordshire County Council. Find out more about all the ISL services on the schools’ Grid website.