Skip to content

Hertfordshire Send Local Offer

If your child has a special educational need, this can be met either in a mainstream school with extra support, or in a special school.

How schools, including Academies, help pupils with SEND

Schools in Hertfordshire must support pupils with special educational needs by:

  • improving access to daily education
  • ensuring better access to information for both children and families
  • ensuring the admissions process is fair.

Read the Quality Offer for further detail on how we expect schools in Hertfordshire to support pupils with SEND. Our SEND Accessibility Strategy sets out how we make sure all education settings are accessible.

Every school must have their own plan, which shows how they will improve accessibility for special educational needs pupils, and by when these improvements will be made. In order to prepare the plan a school must first undertake an Access Audit. This Access Audit template helps schools do this.

In addition, all schools must publish a Special Education Needs (SEN) Information report on their website so that you can see how they provide for pupils with SEND.  Find a school using the schools directory to read their SEN information report.

Our SEN support in education document outlines the range of special educational needs.

Special schools in Hertfordshire (including Academies)

Special schools cater for pupils who have complex and severe special educational needs including learning difficulties, physical disabilities or emotional and behavioural problems.

They may be specifically designed, staffed and resourced to provide appropriate special education for pupils with additional needs.

Find Special Schools in Hertfordshire.

Home to school transport

Some children and young people with SEND will be entitled to travel assistance to and from school.

Read more about school transport for those with SEND.

Special Educational Needs Co-ordinators (SENCo)

These are school staff who advise their own schools on the best ways to identify and help children with extra needs. They work closely with families and external professionals.

Every school should have a SENCo.

Independent schools

Independent schools support children with special educational needs and disabilities too.

View a list of approved independent special schools (part of Section 41 of the Children and Families Act).

Moving on from school

The Preparing for Adulthood pages help young people and their families address moving on from school, so that they can plan ahead and make informed decisions.

About Me: a profile for young people with SEND

We've created a template for schools and colleges to get the key information they need about a child or young person with special educational needs, so that they can work with them effectively. The young person completes the ‘About Me template’ with the help of someone who knows them well.