Births, Deaths, Marriages and Citizenship Service
Hertfordshire Registration & Citizenship Service delivers birth, death, marriage and civil partnership registrations, ceremonial services for civil marriages, civil partnerships (same sex partnerships), civil namings, civil funerals and renewal of vows plus citizenship ceremonies, nationality checking service (NCS), settlement checking service (SCS) and change of name deeds service.
Registration services are available in our offices in Watford, Stevenage, Hatfield, St Albans, Hemel Hempstead, Hertford, Cheshunt and Bishop's Stortford. Citizenship services are available at the Citizenship Unit in Hatfield.
Joint Citizenship and Passport Checking Service
You can submit an application for a British Passport at the same time as applying for British Citizenship. This new service has been developed in partnership with the Home Office.
If your citizenship application is successful and you have attended a ceremony, your new passport will be dispatched to your home.
The checking service costs £10 per application. This fee is non-refundable and payable via credit/debit card when a Nationality Checking Service appointment is booked. A Nationality Checking Service appointment can be made by phone on 01707 897396. If you are booking online for Citizenship and are interested in using the Passport Checking Service please contact the office on 01707 897396 to book this additional service.
Civil Marriage or Civil Partnership in the UK - with effect from 2nd March 2015
The notice period for all couples will be extended from 15 to 28 days (with some exceptions):
- the introduction of a new process (called the referral and investigation scheme), whereby all proposed marriages and civil partnerships involving a non-EEA national who does not provide specified evidence of settled or permanent resident status, a marriage or civil partership Visa, or exemption from immigration control will be referred to Home Office Immigration
- those couples referred under the scheme may have the notice period extended from 28 to 70 days where the Home Office has reasonable grounds to suspect a sham and decided to investigate this
- couples wishing to marry in the Church of England/Church in Wales where at least one of the couple are a non-EEA national will have to give notice via civil preliminaries at a Register Office (if they provide specified evidence they are exempt from immigration control) or at a Designated Register Office
Please telephone 0300 123 4045 if you have any questions regarding this.
Conversion of a Civil Partnership to a Marriage - Celebrate with Hertfordshire Registration Service
From 10th December 2014, couples who have registered their Civil Partnership in England and Wales can convert their Civil Partnership into a Marriage. Please follow this link for more information.
- Birth registrations
- Death registrations
- Notices of Civil Marriage
- Notices of Civil Partnership
- Nationality Checking Service
Plus you can order copy birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates online too.
For Registration Services, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 0300 123 4045
For Citizenship Services, contact us at: email@example.com
or call 01707 897396
HCC is not responsible for the content of external web sites.