The County Council is under contract to sell to BeechwoodHomes the freehold interest in the property located inWatling Street, Radlett which comprises the Radlett Former Fire & Rescue Station as was built by the County Council in the mid-1960’s. The property as it now exists came into the County Council’s ownership in two separate parcels. The bulk of the site – approximately 70% of it – was bought by the County Council in 1961. This section of the site – being the majority of it – cannot therefore be directly relevant to the e-petition because the e-petition specifically refers to a piece of land that in 1906 was "...donated... for the benefit of the local community to provide a permanent and central base for the Fire Station" by a gentleman named Charles Part. Documents in the possession of the County Council indicate that, whilst in 1906 Charles Thomas Part made available the residue of the current overall site – being approximately 30% of it – for development with a fire station he did not make an outright gift of the land. Rather, he granted a lease of it [for 99 years from 24 June 1906] which meant that he retained the freehold interest and was, therefore, still able to control the future use to which this area of land could be put. The lease was subject to covenants – the most important of which (for present purposes) was that the lessees were only permitted to use the land “for a Fire Engine House or Station only. And will at the end or sooner determination of the said term deliver up the said demised premises to the Lessor with all buildings then standing thereon”. The lease also contained provisions for the landlord to terminate the lease in the event of non-observance of the covenants (for example, as to use of the premises and for non-payment of the annual rent) to which it was subject. Moreover, the lease stated that "..if the Lessees shall be desirous of determining this Lease on any twenty fourth day of June,,, (and they) shall give to the Lessor,,,, six calendar months previous notice in writing then..the term hereby granted shall cease." In 1939, following the resignation of the former members of the committee of the Radlett and Aldenham Fire Brigade (and pursuant to a resolution of an Extraordinary General Meeting of the subscribers to the Brigade), the 1906 lease was assigned to Watford Rural District Council. On 1 April 1948, by virtue of the Fire Services Act 1947, the County Council became the Fire Authority for the entire area administered by it, whereupon the 1906 lease Subsequently the devolved to the County Council. Subsequently, on 29 October 1948, the County Council bought the freehold interest in the land. The County Council therefore rejects any assertion that Mr Part made an outright gift of the land which comprises the site of the original Radlett Fire Station. In 1948, the County Council inherited the the lease from Watford Rural Council (ie from another municipal body rather than from a voluntary organisation) upon creation of a nationwide Fire Service in 1947/48. Furthermore, later the same year - and as a completely separate, private transaction - the County Council bought the freehold interest in the land comprised in the lease. Capital receipts generated by the sale of surplus property assets - such as the Former Radlett Fire and Rescue Station - are used to support the Council's capital programme. The receipts are pooled and decisions as to expenditure are made on a countywide basis.