Ceremonies can be held at any of our register offices or approved venues.
What civil partnerships are
Any couple that registers a civil partnership will have the same rights as a married couple in areas such as tax, social security, inheritance and workplace benefits.
Partnerships can be registered by 2 people who are:
- the same sex
- aged 16 years or over (with consent if under 18)
- not already married or in a civil partnership
- not closely related (eg parent, sister, niece or uncle)
To register your civil partnership you can attend any Register Office for a simple signing.
Alternatively you can have a ceremony. Once you've decided on the venue for your ceremony and arranged a date and time, you'll need to give notice of your intention to register at a register office in the district where you live.
The Partnership Ceremony
We can give guidance and options of what you want for your ceremony. You can include vows, exchange rings or gifts, have music and readings.
At the end of the ceremony, once the official form has been signed by you and your witnesses, the certificates of partnership can be produced. These are the legal documents which prove your new status.
All our ceremony information can be found in our Celebrations brochure.
Costs for the ceremony
Fees from 1 April 2017 - 31 March 2018
| Day|| Register Office|| Approved Venue|
|Monday - Thursday
| Sunday/Bank Holiday
- For all legal marriage ceremonies there will be an additional fee of £8 for two certificates.
- A small statutory register office ceremony room for up to 4 people is available Monday and Thursday for the statutory fee of £46 at the Hertfordshire Register Office in Hatfield.
| Day|| Cost|
| Monday – Friday
| Sunday and Bank Holiday
- Anytime ceremonies can take place between 6pm and 9am.
| Day|| Cost|
| Monday - Friday
| Sunday and Bank Holidays
- For an Anywhere Ceremony you must be legally civil partners or have arrangements to have a legal civil partnership before the date proposed for the Anywhere Ceremony.
- The fee for the legal ceremony will be £46 and can take place at any Hertfordshire Register Office.
See fees for 1 April 2018 - 31 March 2019
Converting a civil partnership to a marriage
A fee of £45 will be charged for a conversion. Certificates can be issued after the conversion for a fee of £4 per copy.
You both need to go to any register office in Hertfordshire and give evidence of your identity and address as well as a certified copy of your civil partnership certificate.
If you want to have a ceremony to celebrate your new marital status, we can offer a Bespoke Conversion Ceremony. It can be held at any Hertfordshire register office or licensed venue in Hertfordshire. Call us on 0300 123 4045 for further details.