How we prioritise our gritting routes
When icy weather or snow is forecast, we grit roads in a priority order.
Map of our primary (red) and secondary (blue) gritting routes
Priority 1 ("precautionary" routes)
- A and B Roads
- Routes to hospitals, GP surgeries and urgent care centres, plus designated emergency service routes
- Train stations (in-county and on boundaries), airports (near boundaries) and transport interchanges.
Priority 2a ("precautionary" routes)
- Bus routes, including school bus routes (not including minibuses)
- 1 road into each village of 50 houses or more
- Roads linking rural communities or key infrastructures and industrial areas.
Priority 2b ("precautionary" routes)
- Roads with a gradient (steepness) of 10% and over (where recorded)
- Libraries, community centres, care homes, key pharmacies, critical utility infrastructure
- Off-road paved cycle paths. All where practical and accessible.