Skip to content


Hertfordshire County Council

Report a street light or pothole


You can also tell us about overgrown hedges, floods or other problems on the road or pavement.

What you can report

You can report issues with your road or pavement, including:

  • potholes
  • street lights
  • traffic lights.

If it's an emergency and could cause injury, call 999.

You need to report some faults to your district or borough council:

  • Street nameplates
  • Off road fly tipping
  • Parking or permit issues.

Timescales for road repairs

How we prioritise repairs

We can't guarantee all the faults you report will get repaired. We prioritise repairs based on:

  • whether the fault is a safety hazard (as determined by our Inspection Manual)
  • the type of road
  • budget availability
  • any upcoming work we've got planned in the same area.

Track or subscribe to a fault

Every fault that's reported to us gets a reference number. You can use this to check the progress of a fault.

You can also search faults in your area.

If a fault has already been reported, there's no need to report it again.

Upgrading our streetlights

We're upgrading our street lights to LED (light emitting diode) lights between autumn 2015 and spring 2017.

By changing our street lights to LED's they'll:

  • use much less energy which is better for the environment
  • be connected to a central management system. So we can easily find out if there's a faulty light.