Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council

Grass cutting, hedges, trees and weeds

We treat weeds and carry out grass cutting and tree maintenance throughout the year.

Weed control

We treat the roads and pavements twice a year, in late spring and early September. We use an environmentally-friendly weed killer.

Areas where we treat weeds

St. Albans area

  • Bricket Wood
  • Chiswell Green
  • Harpenden
  • London Colney
  • Redbourn
  • Sandridge
  • St. Albans
  • Wheathamstead


Three Rivers area

  • Abbots Langley
  • Bedmond
  • Belsize
  • Carpenders Park
  • Chipperfield
  • Chorleywood
  • Croxley Green
  • Hunton Bridge
  • Kings Langley
  • Maple Cross
  • Mill End
  • Moor Park
  • Northwood
  • Oxhey Hall (6 roads only)
  • Rickmansworth
  • Sarratt
  • South Oxhey
  • West Hyde

District and borough councils treat weeds in other areas of the county.


Grass cutting

We cut grass between March and October.

Grass cutting near you


During grass cutting season, we aim to cut the verges in towns and villages, as well as high speed roads.

We try to cut the grass up to 5 times on high speed roads, though there are some areas which are protected wild flower or wildlife habitats – they're only cut once a year.

More about grass cutting in Hertfordshire (PDF 770KB)

Hedge cutting

If you want to remove a hedgerow, you'll need to apply in writing to your Local Planning Authority (your district or borough council) who then have 42 days to respond to you.

They can issue:

  • a hedgerow retention notice if the hedge must be kept

  • a written notice giving permission to remove the hedge.

However, if you don’t hear back from the Local Planning Authority within 42 days, you can remove the hedge.

You have up to 2 years to remove the hedge once you get written permission from the Local Planning Authority.

Visit Natural England for more information on appealing and regulations on hedge cutting.

Tree maintenance

In most cases, hedges and trees growing next to public roads and footpaths are the responsibility of the adjacent landowner.

You're entitled to cut branches overhanging your property, but you can't reclaim any costs of doing that.

When you report a tree that's causing a danger or an obstruction, we'll carry out an inspection. If we find a problem, we'll either:

  • contact the landowner, asking them to arrange for their hedges/trees to be pruned
  • if trees or hedges are ours, we'll arrange the necessary work.

Our strategy

Our Tree strategy and guidance (PDF 130KB) explains the rules we follow, including when we decide to replant or prune.

We're responsible for 150,000 trees. We'll only carry out work on those trees if there's a safety risk to the public.

We won't take action regarding issues like loss of light, poor TV reception, bird fouling or dripping sap or honeydew.

Vegetation and private land

Private land owners are responsible for removing vegetation that overhangs from their land.

If you're a private land owner, we may contact you if an issue has been raised and will give you notice to remove the obstruction.