Our copy certificate service is suspended until further notice.
This is due to the current coronavirus pandemic. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Our priority service costs £35 per certificate.
We'll send your copy certificate by first class post:
- the same day, if we receive your application before 3pm
- the next working day, if we receive your application after 3pm.
Our priority service is also available by phone or post.
Our standard service costs £11 per certificate.
We'll send your copy certificate by second class post within 15 working days of receiving your application.
Our standard service is also available by phone or post.
We can produce a copy certificate while you wait in reception at The Old Courthouse if you:
- arrive before 3:30pm Monday - Thursday or before 2:30 on Friday
- bring a completed form
- bring a debit or credit card.
This costs £35 per certificate.
What you'll need to apply
- Date and place where the birth took place.
- The name of the person involved.
If you only have the GRO reference number, you must apply to the General Register Office or call them on 0300 123 1837.
To see the indexes for free, contact Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies or visit any Hertfordshire library.
Call us on 0300 123 4045 (option 2).
To apply by post, complete this printable form and send it to:
The Old Courthouse
St Albans Road East
Map and directions
- Monday – Thursday 9am to 5pm
- Friday 9am to 4pm.