Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council

Read the EY FEE portal guidance


The government has published its response to the funding consultation, confirming the early years national funding formula (EYNFF), changes to local level formulas, and reforms to further support children with special educational needs and disabilities.

The Department for Education (DfE) has also produced an EYNFF fact sheet  providing a summary of their response to the consultation and an  online business sustainability package for providers. 

Childcare business support

Family Services Commissioning has commissioned free business support to all Hertfordshire childcare providers. This is being delivered by CBIS England and can be accessed through their website which you can register on for free here.

Training will be offered throughout the year by their expert advisors; please check their website and early education and childcare news for any up coming training. 

You can also contact CBIS for support and advice on any aspect of your business by email, or by phone on 07739 045237.

Got some questions about the 30 hours free childcare?



Childcare sufficiency 

The Childcare Act 2006 requires all local authorities to conduct a childcare sufficiency assessment (CSA), to gain a clear understanding of their local childcare market. If you plan to develop childcare, please conduct your own market research to ensure there is a need for the childcare setting you plan to open.

The latest childcare sufficiency report Opening in a new window is now available (April 2018 edition). If you wish to comment on the childcare sufficiency report or would like to discuss it further please contact us at .

Recruiting to your setting

There are various ways of recruiting staff to fill childcare vacancies and one of the most effective method is actually free.  Our recruitment survey showed that word of mouth filled the most vacancies so make sure that your staff and parents know of any vacancies you may have and place adverts on your settings notice board, front door and website. 

If you’re affiliated to a school or church then they may be able to put your vacancy into their newsletter or emails sent to parents or parishioners. You could also place adverts on your local Library and supermarket notice boards and local newsagents.

You can also place your vacancies on websites:

  • We've had it agreed that you can advertise jobs on teachinherts, however there is an annual charge for this. Read our guidance Opening in a new window on how you do this.
  • Indeed a free recruitment website
  • Monster is popular but will charge
  • There's also the jobs section on, this will also cost

Your local college may also know of recent graduates and those about to finish their courses and are looking for work.

Training for staff

You can access early years training courses and briefings on the Herts for Learning website.

You can access qualification training at the following venues. Check their websites for details.

Updating your setting details online

If you are an Ofsted registered provider you are now able to securely add and update records to the online childcare directory

To access your account for the first time you will need to register.

Please note: Changes and additions submitted will be checked before appearing live on the site to other users. Although we aim to process new updates as quickly as possible this may take a few days owing to the number of registered providers there are in Hertfordshire.