A Blue Badge lets you park nearer to your destination if you’re disabled.
Why we use your information
The personal information you input on to this form is being gathered for the purpose of processing Blue Badge (disabled parking) applications. Hertfordshire County Council will use this information to ensure all contacts (including calls, emails, online contacts, and webchats) are managed effectively to assess eligibility, process applications and give the best customer service possible. We also use your information in order to prevent fraud.
Some information will come direct from you. We may also use information held by central government and information we already hold within Council systems to speed up the process of an application.
We may contact your doctor if we need further medical evidence to support your application.
Hertfordshire County Council collects and processes your information as part of its statutory responsibilities under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970. Our Lawful basis for processing is that this is part of our Public Task.
What we will do with your information
The information you give us will be held by the Customer Service and adult social care teams of Hertfordshire County Council and will be used to process Blue Badge applications.
This information is shared with the Department for Transport and their supplier (currently Valtech) as they print and send the badges.
We may also share information within the Local Authority e.g., Anti-fraud service) for the detection and prevention of fraudulent application or usage.
We also share information with Highways (where use of residential disabled parking bays is a highway concern) and with relevant district and borough councils to assist you in obtaining parking season tickets or other related concessions and parking enforcement in relation to Blue Badges.
We may also share information with the police or other agencies if it is necessary for the following purposes:
a) the prevention or detection of crime
b) the apprehension or prosecution of offenders
c) the assessment or collection of any tax or duty or any imposition of a similar nature
If there are concerns of fraud in relation to the application or use of the badge, we may make enquiries with CIFAS, the anti-fraud organisation, to see if they have a record of prior fraudulent activity by you. This information may be used in any investigation and/ or prosecution of you.
The personal information we obtain for the purpose of fraud investigation will be shared with fraud prevention agencies who will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance, or employment. CIFAS, has further details of how your information will be used by us and these fraud prevention agencies, and your data protection rights.
How long we will keep your information
The information that you supply to us will be kept on file for 3 years and 3 months. Payment information is not held once the transaction has been processed.
What are your rights?
Hertfordshire County Council will be the Data Controller for this information.
You have the following rights in relation to this data:
- you have the right to be informed about what information we hold about you and how we use it
- you have the right to request copies of any information the Council holds about you by making a subject access request
- if information we hold about you is factually inaccurate you have the right to have it corrected
- you have the right to object to the way we are using your data
- you have the right to request that your data is deleted. However, we may be unable to delete your data if there is a need for us to keep it. In this case you will receive an explanation of why we need to keep the data
- you can also request that we stop using your data while we consider a request to have it corrected or deleted. There may be some circumstances in which we are unable to do this however we will provide an explanation if this is the case
- in certain circumstances you may also request data we hold about you in a format that allows it to be transferred to another organisation
- in the event that decisions are taken using automated processes you have the right to request that these decisions are reviewed by a member of staff and to challenge these decisions.
If you would like to request copies of your data, request that your data is deleted or have any other queries in relation to data which the Council holds about you please contact the Data Protection Team.
Data Protection Team
Hertfordshire County Council
You can also contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to the address above.