Blue badge – disability parking permit
A blue badge lets you park nearer to your destination if you’re disabled.
You can apply for your badge on GOV.UK.
If you can't apply or renew online, print and return a blue badge application form by post.
If you're applying on behalf of an organisation, use the blue badge application form for organisations.
Before you start...
You’ll need the following to apply for or renew your blue badge:
- an electronic photo of yourself
- your National Insurance number
- electronic proof of your address, such as a council tax bill
- electronic proof of any benefit that proves you qualify.
A blue badge costs £10 for most people.
Can I get a blue badge?
You will definitely get a badge if:
- You are blind or severely sight impaired
- You get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) under the “Moving Around” section
- You get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
- You get the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- You receive a benefit from the Armed Forces Compensation scheme
You might get a badge if:
- You drive and have a severe disability in both arms
- You have a permanent disability which means you can’t walk, or it’s very difficult to walk
- You’re a parent or carer applying for a badge for a child (under 3)
- You’re terminally ill.
In these cases, we may call you to get more information. You may also need to see someone who will check how well you can move. We'll let you know if that's needed.
When will I receive my blue badge?
Most badges are sent out within 6 weeks.
If you have to have an assessment or we need to ask you for more information, it may take 8 weeks in total.
When renewing your blue badge, you must apply within 8 weeks of your badge expiring to ensure you get a new one in time.
Change address on a blue badge
To change the address on your badge, please complete the blue badge change of details form.
Return a blue badge
Post the badge to:
Hertfordshire Blue Badge Team
Or if the badge holder has died, you can hand it in when you register the death.
Lost or stolen blue badge
If your blue badge is lost or stolen, please report it to the police. They should issue you with a reference number.
Please complete the blue badge replacement form.
Misuse of a blue badge – tell us
Report misuse of a badge if you think someone is breaking the rules.