Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council

Blind or visually impaired

If you need some help, we can have a chat with you to understand your day-to-day life.  Then we'll work out what we can do.  That might include:

  • special equipment and teaching you to use it.
  • services like meals on wheels or the blue badge parking scheme.
  • training and handy tips to make life easier at home and outside.
  • making sure the lighting and layout in your home is right for you.

We call this chat an assessment.

If these options aren't for you, you can find local clubs and services for blind or visually impaired people.


Deaf or hard of hearing

We can help make life easier for adults, children and their families with services and special equipment like:

  • loop systems.
  • flashing smoke alarms.
  • TV amplifiers.
  • flashing door bells and telephones.

We can also give you information and advice and help you find courses, get into work or access other services in the local community.

We'll need to have a chat with you to work out what you need.  We call this an assessment.



We have specially trained Deafblind workers who can help with things like:

  • special equipment.
  • independent living skills.
  • mobility training.
  • one-to-one support from a communicator guide, an intervenor or a volunteer.

We can meet with Deafblind adults and children, and their carers, to understand their needs and how we can help. 

We call this an assessment.


Communicator guides, intervenors and volunteers

Communicator guides
work with people who acquire Deafblindness, helping them with everyday tasks such as shopping, going to the doctors and going to the gym.

They will help the Deafblind person to adjust to life as their eyesight and hearing gets worse.  For example, they might train the person to use hands-on signing or the Deafblind manual alphabet.

Intervenors work with children and adults who have had Deafblindness from birth.  Their role is similar to  a communicator guide but they will also help to develop a special communication system.

Volunteers generally work with older people who need help reading mail or just need a cup of tea and a chat.



Carers of people with sight or hearing loss

You might be able to get extra help from us if you care for someone with hearing or sight loss.  We can talk with you about your caring responsibilities and work out what we can do to help.  Even if that's just giving you a break every now and then.

We call this an assessment.

Rate this page