Skip to content

Hertfordshire County Council

Housing for Care leavers CTA header v4

When leaving your current accommodation, it's natural to have questions about what to do next.

How long can I stay in my current placement? What are my options if I need to move before I'm 18? Will I get social housing? Where will that be?

Your social worker or leaving care worker will work with you to help you decide on your next steps and make sure the right plans are in place.

To help answer some of your questions, we have made a video to explain some of the housing options for Care Leavers in Hertfordshire.


Want this information in a different format?

What are my options?

Need a quick summary of your options? No worries, we've got you:

Housing options for 18 plus.

Staying put

If you're in foster care, you may be able to remain there under a 'Staying Put' arrangement until you're 21. We advise planning for this when you reach your 16th birthday. You will need to discuss the possibility of this arrangement with your social worker. 

Social housing

As a Hertfordshire Care Leaver, you have the option to access social housing (sometimes known as Council housing or Housing Association accommodation). Unsure how it works for you? Check out the short video above explaining how the County Council ensures the process is as smooth as possible for you.

Your social worker will help you apply to the relevant District Council to join their housing register when you are 16. Suppose you came into care in one area but lived in a different location; well in that case you could register with both local authorities.

Click on the map below to find contact details for each District Council. Before applying on to a housing register, you should talk to you social worker, as they will assist you with the application and make sure that your application progressed appropriately. 

 Find your home.


Click or search for the location to find out where to apply and contact details for who looks after housing in that area. 


Housing options for 16-18 year olds.

When you turn 16 there are other housing options that can prepare you for living on your own. You can talk to your social worker about whether any of these options might be right for you.

Here's what's available:

Supported lodgings

A bit like foster care but gives you more independence. You'll live in a family home up to the age of 21, with a focus on developing your independence skills. This can include cooking some of your own meals and managing your own money.

Supported accommodation

Supported Accommodation schemes are larger sites that can house multiple young people. They are for people from 16- 24 years old, and provide a lower level of support to make sure you’re managing to live by yourself. The accommodation could be shared with other young people or self-contained depending on the location, but you will always have your own bedroom.

Semi-independent accommodation

Funded by Children's Services for young people up to 18 years old, Semi-Independent private accommodation can be either shared or self-contained accommodation. You will receive support to help develop your independent living skills.

Care Leavers going to university

Care Leavers going to university will be supported by the Higher Education Coordinator for Care Leavers, who will offer advice around accommodation options when attending university. They will also work with you around accommodation during holiday periods. 

Care Leavers living out of Hertfordshire

If you have lived out of county for 2 years prior to your 16th birthday you can apply to that same area for social housing before, on or after your 18th birthday (dependent on the local housing authority rules). You can also still retain your local connection with the Hertfordshire area where you came into care from and you will also be placed on this housing register around your 16th birthday.

After you turn 16 your social worker will begin to talk to you about accommodation for you when you turn 18, including whether it is possible to remain in the area you may be currently living. Different housing authorities have different local connection rules and this can be complicated to understand so having conversations with your social worker is important. 

At risk of becoming homeless

If you are at risk of becoming homeless you need to tell your social worker or leaving care PA. However, you can also get advice from the Homeless Hub. They can provide advice and assistance to anyone 16-24 who is at risk of becoming homeless.

Rate this page