We made a pledge (or promise) to all children and young people we look after.

Before you come into care, we'll ask all family and friends if they can offer you a safe home. If not, we'll make sure you're cared for.

As you grow older your responsibilities will grow too.

These 13 promises are based on what children and young people in care in Hertfordshire said was important to them.


  • When you first come into care, we'll help you understand why you're coming into care and make sure you have everything you need.
  • We'll tell you about things you're entitled to, like pocket money and savings.
  • We'll only share information about you if we're sure it's in your best interest.

Read more about Explaining... (PDF 5.9 mb) Opening a new window


  • We'll listen to what you think when adults are making decisions about you.
  • We'll listen to what you think about how to make being in care better for lots of children. We'll tell you how you can get involved with the Children in Care Council (CHICC).

Read more about Listening... (PDF 5.9 mb) Opening a new window

Keeping you safe and settled

  • We'll protect you and keep you safe and settled.
  • We'll make sure you have a social worker. Your social worker will do their best to spend time with you and get to know you.
  • We'll help you to keep in touch with family and friends, as long as this is safe.
  • We'll help you know about who you are and things that are important to your identity.

Read more about Keeping you safe... (PDF 5.9 mb) Opening a new window

Being healthy

  • We'll help you to be as healthy and well as you can be.

Read more about Being healthy... (PDF 5.9 mb) Opening a new window

Being ambitious

  • We'll support you with education, training and employment options to help you achieve the best you can.
  • We will make sure you can take part in things you want to do.
  • We'll help you move into adulthood.

Read more about Being ambitious... (PDF 5.9 mb) Opening a new window

If you feel that parts of this pledge are not happening for you, you can:

  • Speak to your carer or social worker. They know you well and are usually the best people to help put things right.
  • Contact National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS). They can help you to sort out problems.